Pride Preview: ‘DC Pride 2022’
Nicole Maines’ powerful introduction sets the stage for an incredible anthology!
DC adds Kevin Conroy, J. Bone, Aditya Bidikar and more to the list of all-star storytellers!
DC Pride 2022 wraparound variant cover by Joshua “Sway” Swaby
DC Pride 2022’s storytellers have ambitious goals: to deliver new stories, highlight DC’s fan-favorite LGBTQIA+ characters, and show fans more pride than ever before. And they can’t wait for readers to see what they’ve produced! Released today are all the latest details about DC Pride 2022, including an excerpt from Nicole Maines’ introduction, the addition of Kevin Conroy (the iconic voice of Batman in Batman: The Animated Series), J. Bone and Aditya Bidikar to an already packed roster of talent, a first look at some of the artwork coming in from the creative teams, and more. Local comic shops are taking preorders through May 1 and the 104-page Prestige format comic will publish in print and on digital platforms on May 31.
So, what’s inside DC Pride 2022? Will there be a Harley and Ivy story? Will there be a Tim Drake story? What other characters are getting a spotlight? The answers are “yes, yes, and wait and see!” but before DC reveals of the full list of talent contributing to DC Pride 2022, please take a moment to read a passage from Nicole Maines’ introduction. The author, actress and real-life superhero is on the front lines of activism and has an important message for readers:
“Representation is something that so many take for granted. But as queer people, we have always understood not only its necessity, but its power. Seeing yourself in the media you consume is validating in a way that says, “You are not alone.”
Seeing yourself in comic books, though, in your favorite superheroes, is especially powerful. It tells us that not only are there other people like us out there (something that this young trans girl growing up in rural Maine desperately needed), but that they stand alongside the very best of us.
They are the best of us.
Superheroes set the bar and they set it high. Because if you can be a superhero, you can be anything. And superheroes are categorized as such not due to their superhuman abilities, extraterrestrial origins, or truly fabulous fashion choices. They are superheroes because they stand up for what is right against any odds.
It is their courage that sets them apart.” —Nicole Maines, DC Pride 2022
Maines’ full introduction, plus a teaser for her upcoming DC project, is sure to rally fans for more stories about Dreamer, the character Maines originated on The CW’s Supergirl and then brought to comics in 2021. And stay tuned…there’ll be more news from Maines very soon!
And now for the action! Check out all the incredible stories that DC Pride 2022 will include and the talent behind them, then scroll down for a few sneak-peek previews and more!
The DC Pride 2022 creative teams will include:
- “Super Pride” by Devin Grayson, Nick Robles, Triona Farrell and Aditya Bidikar
- “Confessions” by Stephanie Williams, Meghan Hetrick, Marissa Louise and Ariana Maher
- “Special Delivery” by Travis Moore, Enrica Eren Angiolini and Ariana Maher
- “Are You Ready for This?” by Danny Lore & Ivan Cohen, Brittney Williams, Enrica Eren Angiolini and Ariana Maher
- “A World Kept Just For Me” by Alyssa Wong, W. Scott Forbes and Ariana Maher
- “The Gumshoe in Green” by Tini Howard, Evan Cagle and Lucas Gattoni
- “Think of Me” by Ted Brandt & Ro Stein and Frank Cvetkovic
- “Public Display of the Electromagnetic Spectrum” by Greg Lockard, Giulio Macaione and Aditya Bidikar
- “The Hunt” by Dani Fernandez, Zoe Thorogood, Jeremy Lawson and Aditya Bidikar
- “Bat’s in the Cradle” by Stephanie Philips, Samantha Dodge, Marissa Louise and Lucas Gattoni
- “Up at Bat” by Jadzia Axelrod, Lynne Yoshii, Tamra Bonvillain and Ariana Maher
- and “Finding Batman,” a personal story by Kevin Conroy with art by J.Bone and Aditya Bidikar
With over 100 pages of original stories and content, DC Pride 2022 celebrates the strength and courage it takes to be a DC Super Hero. Here’s a sneak peek into what a few of the teams will be delivering:
“Confessions” by Stephanie Williams, Meghan Hetrick, Marissa Louise and Ariana Maher:
“Public Display of the Electromagnetic Spectrum” by Greg Lockard, Giulio Macaione and Aditya Bidikar:
“Special Delivery” by Travis Moore, Enrica Eren Angiolini and Ariana Maher:
“Up at Bat” by Jadzia Axelrod, Lynne Yoshii, Tamra Bonvillain and Ariana Maher:
“Are You Ready for This?” by Danny Lore & Ivan Cohen, Brittney Williams, Enrica Eren Angiolini and Ariana Maher:
“Think of Me” by Ted Brandt & Ro Stein and Frank Cvetkovic:
For more information about DC Pride 2022, the DC Multiverse and more, visit the DC website at www.dccomics.com and follow DC on social media at @DCComics. Sign up for a free trial of DC UNIVERSE INFINITE at www.dcuniverseinfinite.com.
Stay tuned for more Pride announcements from DC between now and June!